A disciple is a believer immersed in the life of Jesus who is growing in his love for God, his love for other people and his desire to go into the world for the sake of the Gospel. Acts 2:42-47 informs our definition and philosophy of discipleship. That passage also includes seven characteristics or marks unique to growing disciples.
1. A disciple is a learner devoted to studying God's Word (2 Tim.3:16-17).
2. A disciple is a relater devoted to godly fellowship (Col. 3:12-13).
3. A disciple is a pray-er devoted to a lifestyle of prayer (Col. 4:2).
4. A disciple is a worshipper devoted to pursuing God's daily agenda (Rom. 12:1).
5. A disciple is a giver devoted to being a conduit of God's blessings (Luke 6:38).
6. A disciple is a server devoted to meeting the needs of others (Matt. 20:28).
7. A disciple is a reproducer devoted to making disciples of others (Matt. 4:19).
We believe it is our duty as a church to lead people to become disciples who help others reach maturity in Christ (Colossians 1:28-29). Therefore our groups and classes seek to elevate these seven aspects of discipleship. We also believe that God's grace is the only spiritual fuel suitable for doing His work in His power (2 Corinthians 9:8). Only a sustained reliance upon God's Word and His Spirit produces the desire and means for making disciples who love God, love others and go into the world.